Monthly Archives: April 2014
Contribution of Shape and Gradient Refractive Index to the Spherical Aberration of Isolated Human Lenses published in IOVS
We investigated the age dependence of isolated human lens shape and gradient index and their contribution to spherical aberration using a GRIN reconstruction method based on 3D sOCT and laser ray tracing data. We found that both, geometrical changes and increase in the GRIN meridional power exponent contribute to the age-dependent shift of negative SA. The full study by Birkenfeld et al. can be found in the april-issue of IOVS (http://www.iovs.org/content/55/4/2599.full.pdf+html).
The Visual Optics and Biophotonics Lab (http://www.vision.csic.es) seeks candidates for a 3-year Advanced Fellowship Application in Biomedical Imaging to develop projects of excellence/innovation in the area of ocular imaging (OCT and Advanced Microscopy) and Vision Correction
The Advanced Fellowship
*The Advanced Fellowship is partially funded by the European Commission (FP7-PEOPLE-2011-COFUND, Grant Agreement 291820, MVISION), Consejería de Educación Juventud y Deporte, Fundación para el Conocimiento Madrid+d and VIOBIO Laboratory Funds, and it is part of the Madrid-MIT M+Vision Consortium
- First year Fellowship: € 43,000 + € 2,300 as an academic stipend +€3,300 as travel funds
- Second + Third year contract: € 65,000 (including Social Security obligations) + € 2,300 academic stipend + € 3,300 as travel funds.
* The successful applicant will work on development and applications of imaging techniques in the anterior segment of the eye, dynamic wavefront sensing or adaptive optics. Applications range from understanding the basic ocular mechanisms to the evaluation and new designs of alternatives for vision correction.
Foreseen Fellowship Starting date: December 1, 2014
- Eligible candidates are international or Spanish citizens that have not resided in Spain for more than one year in the previous three years.
- Must hold a PhD degree and an excellent background
- Experience in Biomedical Imaging, with strong motivation for multidisciplinary research in the field of ophthalmic and ocular biology applications
- Must be fluent in English
The Visual Optics and Biophotonics Lab
The Visual Optics and Biophotonics Lab, led by Prof. Susana Marcos, provides a young and dynamic research environment. The laboratory is funded primarily by European grants (ERC Advanced Grant), national programs and holds excellent collaborative programs with top international laboratories, clinical institutes and industry. The Lab is part of the Spanish Visual Optics Network, EU OPAL Marie Curie ITN Research of Excellence, MIT M+Vision Consortium, among others. The Institute of Optics (CSIC) is the earliest research institute in Optics in Spain, and holds an excellent reputation of research in optics, particularly in Visual Optics. CSIC (www.csic.es) is the National Center for Research in Spain, and the most important multidisciplinary research facility in the country, and amongst the highest ranked in Europe.
Full information regarding VIOBIO Lab activities: http://www.vision.csic.es
- Applicants should send Expressions of Interest to the VIOBIO Lab Project Management Unit at: email@example.com before May 11, 2014* and should include CV, research interests and names of three references,
- Pre-selected candidates will proceed with the full application procedure, which requires a cover letter, CV, a research proposal and responses to 3 essay questions, passport copy, academic transcripts, PhD certificate and residence certificate (last 3 years). Letters of Recommendations will be requested at this state.
- Application website: https://app.hobsons.co.uk/?id=madrid-mit
*Final application deadline: May 21, 2014 ——-
Susana Marcos Professor of Research Head of Visual Optics and Biophotonics Lab
We investigated the extent and amount of neural adaptation to the blur imposed by simultaneous vision, by measuring the visual aftereffects produced following brief exposure to simultaneous bifocal images. Results reveal perceptual judgement of bifocal images, and adaptation to bifocal images driven primarily by local contrast in the images. The study is published in this month’s issue of PLOS One 9(3)
Susana Marcos has joined the Board of Editors of Optica, the new high impact journal of the Optical Society of America.
More information about Optica at: http://www.opticsinfobase.org/optica_coming_soon/
Members of the Visual Optics and Biophotonics Lab and IOSA Student Chapter participate in CSIC sponsored program CiudadCiencia with another exciting workshop: “Discovering Light” in Menorca (Balearic Islands, Spain), next April 4-5 2014.
More information Ciudad Ciencia Program: http://www.ciudadciencia.es/agenda/descu
All IOSA Activities, including a report on “Discovering Light” at: http://iosastudentchapter.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/descubriendo-la-luz-in-fuerteventura/
CSIC Madrid Delegation features Prof. Susana Marcos’ research as “Competitive Advantage” (Baza) in Madrid. Read full profile at: http://www.d-madrid.csic.es/
Are you finishing your bachelor or masters degree in physics, optics, engineering or vision science? Would you like to have an experience doing research in optics , imaging and vision, in the internationally recognized Visual Optics and Biophotonics Lab, working with a highly multidisciplinary international team? If you are interested and meet the criteria, apply to this opportunity, funded by CSIC.
* 2000 € scholarship (in two payments)
* Three months research intership at VIOBIO Lab between September 1st 2014 and March 1st 2015.
* 25 hours per week shifts
* Research work under Susana Marcos’ direct supervision
* Must have finished between 40%- 80% of their studies, but not totally completed.
* Minimum score average (weighed per hours) above 8 (8/10 scale)
* Highly motivated to work in highly interdisciplinary team
* International students need a stay permit in the country
How to apply
https://sede.csic.gob.es/intro2014 (in Spanish) Please, send us an email* with your CV and motivation letter once you have submitted your application.
Deadline: April 20th, 2014
* If you meet the requirements above but still have questions on your application, please do not hesitate to contact us for assistance**
** Contact: VIOBIO Project Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Application forms and instructions